|This article is a stub. You can help Journey Wiki by .|
Companion is the term for a Wayfarer that travels with you. They are possibly the most important part of Journey.
The player may encounter other players like them, known as companions, while exploring the world in Journey. These companions may help the player and cannot hinder them along their path.
- 1 Important
- 2 Types of Companions
- 3 How To Play With A Friend
- 4 Problem: Losing Companions
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Quotes
- 7 See also
Important[edit | edit source]
- Companions are human players! Please treat them as such!
- A figure like you, either in red or white, thats how they look like.
- When you see a white shine at the edge of your screen, it means there is a companion nearby. Try to turn camera and find them.
- Chirp will create a signal that the companion can see from distance, making it easier for them to find you.
- Chirping will also let you charge each-other's scarves, as will being close enough that your cloaks glow.
- Too much distance might cause a disconnect and you lose your companion, also careful with activating/triggering for example the glyphs in the tower. It pays off to wait for a companion, before you go into the light circle. If they are too far behind and cant reach it in time - disconnect.
- Note: If you are on your first journey, you cannot meet white robes, as they are more experienced and might interfere with your first experiences in Journey. However, if you don't wear your white robe and go in your red robe you have the chance to travel with first runs. On IOS white robes can meet first runs.
Journey can teach you how to deal with all kinds of players, to be patient, to be humble... Even an "ignoring" companion can turn into a real friend later, when you got to know each other and don't give up on them. It takes experience to see if its a speedrunning companion or someone who just doesnt know how to travel together.
Remember it could be a child or a person not familiar with the controls. The magic of journey is created through companions, when you try to find out what each wants. Some are explorers, some just want to get to the mountain (or maybe to the next level to show you something).
At first sight companions often make "eye and body contact" to greet each other and get to know their abilities. They might show some tricks or Fancy Flying, asking you to repeat, if you can't, they will know which routes they can take you on.
Or they will start showing you how to do it, be patient and observe how their figure moves to find out which buttons they are using.
- Common Behaviors article might help to understand your companion :)
- Companions Met Along the Way (CMATW) is the list of names with the according symbols at the end of the game (after the cast). This article gives information about when names get saved, what to do to not lose those names until they show in the list. There is also info on how you can contact your companions.
Types of Companions[edit | edit source]
Every Companion is an individual!
This list cannot be complete, but you can expand it, by editing this section. Add types of companions that you met (means you met that kind several times so it can be assumed that there are more then one player with that style).
Recognise how experienced your Companion is[edit | edit source]
Robe Embroidery already tells you a bit about the experience level of your companion, see wayfarers. But remember, that there are people that are playing on another device or deleted their save files, thus being a "fake first run". See Quote from Winterfuchs below.
Every combination is possible:
- Robe shows their true state --> a frist run that plays for the first time. A 3rd tier White Robe/Cloak (WR/WC) that just got their White Robe.
- A WR thats on their first Journey --> Someone lets their friend play on their account and doesnt reset the savefiles. Recommendation: if you think you have a first run WR treat them like one. Let them explore, help them when they want to fly up somewhere. Try to figure out if they like to find the things on their own and explore the levels or if they like help (being lead to symbols and glyph, help with "puzzles"). Hint: if you want to give your friends a good first run, let them travel in red. Maybe even delete the savefiles (you can also backup files) so other companions will see a first run robe and can play accordingly with them.
- A very experienced RR --> Some players go in red either because they like the robe or to be able to meet with first runs (IOS version: WR can meet a first run). Sometimes they meet another experienced player and then they reveal their true nature, by showing a FP, dances or other tricks.
- A fake first run: either started on a new device, used a savefile for it or simply deleted the save. They might just want to give the impression of a first run, so they can have a standard Journey.
- 2-3 tier WR/RR --> those robes are commonly used by regular players. It can help to distinguish which of the figures is you and which is your companion. Other reason is for the looks.
A Faceplant (FP) can help to figure out how experienced your companion is. Although first runs shouldn't be confused with this advanced technique, so use it wisely. On the other side, if you travel in red and meet an experienced player, you can use FP to show that you are at least a bit advanced.
It needs a lot of experience to figure out where you and your companion stand skillwise. You might want to hint to OOB entrances or certain places, then look how they react (knowing, confused, annoyed).
Speedrunners[edit | edit source]
Homepage for people that like to speedrun Journey: https://www.speedrun.com/journey
If you would like to try speedrunning, please consider playing offline to not meet other players.
How to identify a speedrunner:
There is no 100 % way to be sure that you ran into a speedrunner. It might be a person that just spent two hours in the first two levels and is now rushing to the end to get the name of a companion.
Companions, from the point of view of a speedrunner:
|“||The best thing another wayfarer can do is nothing. No inputs at all while the runner is nearby.
If the runner gets connected close to the other one, yes it will mess his camera and potentially leads to a loss of boost but honestly, I don't think the little window time that another wayfarer has at his disposal would be enough to do anything beneficial for the runner.
Firstly, because it would at least take several seconds to understand that you were connected with a runner.
Secondly because even if you noticed it really quickly if by misfortune you two were connected close enough, both cameras will be messed up.
And if by chance you were connected far away then "doing nothing" is still the preferred option. The runner will try to avoid the other as much as he can so just let him do the work.
Especially on PS4, some players want to stream their attemps and therefore have to be online.
If you are sure that one is speedrunning, here are some "don'ts". All of these are either time saving for the runner (and thus not allowed) or could just kill his run:
- "Don't activate the history lesson.
- Don't build parts of the bridge (on BB) while the runner is connected with you (it will mess his camera)
- Don't stand in the way the runner seems to want to go to (pretty hard to respect if you don't know the run routes)
- Don't chirp... like... really, don't
- Don't takes the other guy carpet at end of PD (not really impacting tbh)
- Don't wake up the war machine in UG.
- Don't try to capture war machine while the runner is there.
- Don't activate the goo in Tower while runner is here
- Don't get close to a runner in snow (he would then defrost a little and get back energy)"
There is a coop-speedrun-category, but then it will be with an arranged partner.
Slow Traveller[edit | edit source]
They really take their time on a journey and like to show "everything" or stay at one place and try to Faceplant Jump (FPJ) onto pillars, standing on the Statue at end of level etc., trying to get a nice pose with you by their side.
Those journeys can easily take up to 7 and more hours, breaks are common. It takes time: they show you a trick and you are trying to copy, doing vast tours in several OOBs, just doing tricks and Challenges.
And many more[edit | edit source]
Every player is and individual and they are all travelling different.
How To Play With A Friend[edit | edit source]
Yes you can.
Allthough the game is made for random encounters with an unkown friend, there are tricks to travel with a certain person.
Pick a friend, someone from the ingame meetings channel on the discord or a person you played before with.
Common courtesy:[edit | edit source]
Please keep in mind, that there will be times when you are looking for a random companion. So if you run into another player while trying to connect with your friend, either give them time to leave the level or you try to connect in the next level, to avoid frustration on both sides.
We hear about people, complaining about the same companion dusting on them on sight, several times. It makes them sad.
Hint: in BB you can activate a banner, so the state of the level is different for them. Then reenter the level or refresh the connection (see below).
ready, when going to have an arranged journey is also useful.
Notes for PC version:[edit | edit source]
Since the start until current version 1.52, this version has problems with connections. Its recommended to start the game via the launcher.
Especially on the PC version it helps to try to "refresh the connection", this is also used on PS4. It can happen that the setting is right and you should connect, but you dont.
See: further hints below.
Note: Chapter Selecting to refresh is not tested on PC yet, exiting to title screen will not refresh the "lobby".
There are many theories about what helps with connecting on PC, please use the Talk:Companions page to share your experiences.
Notes for PS4:[edit | edit source]
The best method found when trying to connect to someone is to turn off the network after 30 seconds pass and quickly turn it back on. Then wait another 30 seconds, turn off, and repeat until a connection.
Video and describtion below the video that show the process: how to refresh connection to meet companions. The video is about all devices that Journey can be played on.
Notes for PS3:[edit | edit source]
PS3 is know to have the most reliable connection process.
|“||I had a situation where i couldnt connect in BB, allthough the setting was right and no other Companion in sight, neither a shine.
I started looking around and found a companion standing far away on an invisible platform. They were only a dot, but it lead to me thinking that there is a problem with the connection.
How it works:[edit | edit source]
Note: A first run - see Wayfarers) - cannot meet a White Robe; it is possible on the IOS version though.
Basically you just need to be at the same place at the same time, with slight distance between you. The game needs to be in the same state for both of you.
Example: if you got the bridge fully built and the other not, you cannot connect. Allthough there are some rare cases where this also happened (glitch/bug). Thats why its hard, up to impossible to connect in the underground after first WM was activated.
The video below is not too long and explains the triggers that prevent meeting perfectly, covering all levels.
Video explaining where and when you can connect[edit | edit source]
This video was made for PS3, its more difficult to connect on the PS4 and a bit trickier on PC.
Further hints[edit | edit source]
- refreshing the connection, see video on right:
- good wait time before refreshing your connection on all consoles is 30 seconds. If you don't touch your left stick or chirp for 60 seconds you will sit down.
- If you lose each other and try to reconnect at a later part/level it seems you got higher chances to get the same person again.
- You need some distance from your companion for a connection. About the length of two war machines/stone dragons/guardians.
- You will disconnect from a companion if:
- you are too far away from them,
- enter the vision/history lesson/portals without them and they are not following fast enough, or
- go to the next level without them and they dont follow fast enough.
- both go a bit further in the level, try to activate certain things at same time to change the current state of the figure (like a glyph in the Tower or a bridge part in BB, as described in the video, connections in UG after activating the first WM are difficult/impossible)
- move around in the level to create different distances between you
- On PC it is very helpful to exit the game fully (to the desktop), and re-enter at the same time.
Strategies for connecting[edit | edit source]
This list can be used to copy the text and paste it to your trying-to-connect-with-companion.
"ravings favorite" for Broken Bridge[edit | edit source]
|“||We will try to go to the Broken Bridge level AT SAME TIME aprox. Then chances are high that we connect.
'Drawback on trying to connect in BB:' Many people try to meet there or just start their Journey there. Depending on amount of players playing at that moment the chances to connect to someone else are probably higher then in other levels.
As always: make sure you are on the same device.
No go: one white, one a red cloak with only one ring on the bottom.
Note for PC: it seems that if a connection doesnt happen within 20-30 seconds, it will not happen later. Can try to activate bridge banners. My way to go is the restart and press continue at same time.
Problem: Losing Companions[edit | edit source]
This is a guide, to help you to not lose Companions left and right. Explaining the
- reasons for disconnecting and
- giving hints on how to avoid disconnecting or
- losing sight of each other and
- finding each other again!
We will add hints and warnings about connections in each level article too (work in progress).
I lost my companion[edit | edit source]
Dusting means when a companion sits down and turns into sand. This happens when your or the internet connection of the companion failed. You will also see them dusting when your connection fails so first check if it's not a problem on your end. Dusting also happens when your companion decides to quit the game, console crashes etc. Most often, the reason is too big distance between you and your companion or activating certain triggers. See --> Basic connection video!
Sometimes you just concentrate on something else and lose sight of your companion. Here are some hints:
Reconnect?[edit | edit source]
- If you just lost your companion, you can wait at the end of a section for him, hoping he also goes on.
- Example Tower: if they activated a picture/goo and you were not near, go and activate the picture. then you are again at the "same level" and should reconnect.
- if you got disconnected, because you didn't go together into the light circle at the end of the level, both should just go through the gate.
- Chirping is a good helper to find each other again, always and everywhere! Sometimes the figure itself is barely visible, so a big chirp or many small while walking on will help your companion to see where you are.
Losing companion on regular basis[edit | edit source]
Here is a video for PS3, explaining how the connecting works and where you cant connect with a companion. It's more about how to connect with a specific person (friend), but the general connection rules still apply for random Companions.
See also Differences Between Versions. Connecting seems more difficult on PS4 and most difficult on PC.
Video about how connecting with a companion works (when, where..):
When you are often losing a companion, but would like to stay with them: Especially on PS4 where playing offline is not as easy as on PS3, you might run into people that are just training, speedrunning, flying or doing tricks. They might ignore you, to show that they don't want to travel (with you?).
You cant do anything about that, either walk on or join them. Keep an eye on the white shine on the edge of the screen,that indicates where your companion is. Do not run off or stay behind, if you don't know the connection rules well. You can activate the normal Glyphs and pick up symbols. Activating pictures in the tower, activating War Machines or freeing carpets in Pink Desert might lead to disconnect. Stick together and regularly check where your companion is! Sometimes they sit down to meditate, because real life (toilet, phone, cat.. :) ).
In a certain level[edit | edit source]
For example in paradise it's rather easy to lose your companion, because of the mist. Also forgetting about having a look at the companion, because you just enjoy the flying and views. It happened to all of us!
Generally anywhere[edit | edit source]
Identify lagging companion: Walks/Flies slow and suddenly runs for seconds or "teleports". If they dust, it's most likely that the game just couldn't keep up with your different "speeds".
Common mistake(s): Walking into the light circle, without giving your companion the chance to reach it in time. Can be seen as "i have to hurry, no time to wait for you" or as "i am not up for travelling together". Your companion might just wait a bit, so you DON'T meet in next level or hurry to next level to reconnect with you.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
This gallery is also related to the Wayfarers robe and embroidery, that indicates up to tier 4 how many journeys they had.
Two 4th-tier white companions, close enough to glow, and showing their symbols
Exhibitionist companion (Spoiler: this image was taken in Broken Bridge (OOB)).
Acrobatics (see: Faceplant Jump (FPJ)).
Lets just slowly beam down <3
Quotes[edit | edit source]
From Winterfuchs on "first run to fourth run":[edit | edit source]
0278 on "meeting companions"[edit | edit source]
|“||I think it's super cool because doing a journey with different people its always so different they all have their own trick :D||„|
-Inf- on "re-playability"[edit | edit source]
|“||Journey's more so about the experiences you have with people you meet rather than the usual sense of story or plot progression found in most games.
Because of this, it has a lot of re-playability because you'll pretty much never run across the same type of companion twice. (Barring arranged journeys, but that's another matter.)
Over_speedrunning on "travelling alone or with companions"[edit | edit source]
|“||yeah it's not better like you said, it's different.
When you are alone to do this journey it's a lot more about you, an internal journey full of fights against yourself, your wants, your struggles, your goals.
When beeing with others it's more about sharing the moment, the feelings. Discovering things together.
Ravingmadness on "like meditating"[edit | edit source]
|“||... walking for long time together in little circles and slowly moving foward
or FP all the way for some time
or walking in serpentines, touching each other in the middle and chirping in same rythm
--> those things, if you get into it, it makes you concentrate so much, you forget everything around you, its like a meditation.
Zerathine on travelling with companions makes you play differently
|“||Ultimately, I think I play more for the company of a companion, which means adapting play styles.
I wouldn't say is entirely altruistic either. There's a sense of selfishness in it, too, I think
See also[edit | edit source]
- Over_Speedrunning (Twitch)
- Zerathine, discord 2020-02-23